Overnight preparation time
Less than 10 mins cooking time
- 330g/11½oz cherries, stemmed and stoned
- 175g/6¼oz dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 85g/3oz unsalted butter
- 40g/1½oz caster sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 30ml/1¼fl oz brandy
- 20g/¾oz cocoa powder
- 300ml/10½fl oz double cream
- Roughly chop the cherries.
- Line a 900g/2lb loaf tin with oiled cling film. Melt the chocolate with half the butter in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Leave to cool slightly.
- Beat the remaining butter and the sugar together until light and fluffy, then gradually add the egg yolks, brandy and cocoa powder, beating continuously (adding a little cocoa after each addition of egg yolk stops the mixture from splitting).
- Fold in the melted chocolate and cherries.
- Whisk the cream until it forms soft peaks, and do the same with the egg whites. Fold the cream and then the egg whites into the chocolate and cherry mixture until evenly combined.
- Pour the mixture into the loaf tin. Cover with foil or cling film and freeze for 4-6 hours, preferably overnight, until solid. Cut in thin slices and serve with a raspberry sauce.